Saturday, January 19, 2013

Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation


As I mentioned on Thursday, I'm testing out a couple of heavy duty foundations as possible replacements for my current one, Cover FX Natural FX water based foundation.

The clerk at Sephora recommended two products to me: Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15, which I wrote about on Thursday, and Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation. This second recommendation really surprised me because I can’t help but view “celebrity” lines as novelty products. However, this product is far from being a novelty; in fact it’s one of the best foundations I've ever tried out.

Kat Von D’s makeup line doesn't appear to have its own website, at least not one I could find in under five minutes, so I'm going to use the claims for this product that are found on its Sephora page. According to that page, this product is “A high-pigment foundation for full coverage with a long-lasting, beautiful finish.” Yep, that sums it up perfectly and I can’t disagree with a single thing in that sentence.

I do though quibble with the longer description’s mention of “24-hour wear.” Based off my experiences, this product starts looking a little rough around the eight-nine hour mark and while it probably could stay in place for 24 hours, you’re not going to be happy with the results.

The long description also mentions that, “Natural polymers absorb oil for a matte, soft finish and the added emollients provide a velvety texture for perfectly smooth, hydrated skin.” I disagree with a portion of this sentence because while yes, this product does have a soft finish and a velvety texture that’s surprising light, given the pigmentation power of this product, it’s not a matte product and it certainly not one that absorbs oil. The whole reason why it starts looking rough after eight-nine hours is because of oil production, which, in my experiences, is not at all minimized by this product. Because of that, if oil/shine prevention is your main objective from a foundation, move along, this one isn't for you.

Another big claim mentioned in the long description is that this product “can even effectively cover tattoos.” Since I don’t have a tattoo, I can’t verify whether or not this is true however I can state that it does a great job at covering pimples.

When it comes to overall results as well as staying power, this product easily holds its own against Cover FX and Tarte. Really, all three are great foundations and which one is best is really a matter of personal preference and colour options.

I tried Kat Von D in L44 and it matched my pale skin perfectly as well as looked quite natural on, like I'd lucked out in the genetic lottery and won perfect skin. Because of this perfect match, it bets out the Tarte foundation, which was just a touch too light for me. I also like how the Kat Von D product has a slight dewy quality to it, which makes it less matte than the Tarte one.

As for whether I prefer this product over Cover FX… Yeah, I don’t have a “yes” or a “no” to that question. These two foundations are virtually identical. Both are liquid, both are easy to apply and great at hiding small-to-medium blemishes, and both can make it to the end of a work day. Even the colours are identical; when I did my split face test I didn't even have to blend the centre lines together because these two products are essentially the same ivory shade and their centre lines just meshed seamlessly together .

The Cover FX product does contain an SPF, which sadly the Kat Von D one doesn't have. However, I have noticed that unlike the Cover FX foundation, which can come out a little too liquid-y unless you shake it properly, the Kat Von D foundation is always the perfect texture for application. But just like the Cover FX product, a little goes a long way with this stuff, which is fine by me.

Will I buy this product: I really think I might. At $41 a tube, it’s a touch more expensive than my current Cover FX foundation but the difference isn't enough to dissuade me. While I love my Cover FX, I think it might be time for a change.

Should you buy this product: If you’re looking for a heavy duty foundation, you need to get down to Sephora, the only place that sells this product, and check it out. I can see this easily being some people’s dream product.

No comments:

Post a Comment