Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Kérastase Cristalliste Lumiere Liquid


Over the next week or so my blog is going to be all about my recent vacation to the islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao but before I start reliving my trip I figured I should post something beauty related.

I received my sample of Kérastase Cristalliste Lumiere Liquid, a “shine perfecting serum for free flowing hair,” in one of my Luxe Boxes and in January, when I ran out of Moroccanoil, I decided to try it out.

This item actually reminds me a lot of the Dermalogica products that I reviewed last month:  It’s functional but doesn't bring the amazing results that a product this pricey should bring.

At $42 for 50 ml, this serum is only slightly more than what I pay for Moroccanoil but the results aren't quite as impressive. According to Kérastase, this “ultra-lightweight serum” “leaves hair weightless  and “provides intense cristal shine.” I completely agree that this product didn't way my hair down but I would have to describe the shine level as “moderate” (though maybe that’s what “cristal” means?).

It also had virtually no impact on frizz though I guess that shouldn't be surprising since Kératse doesn't make any claims about this product that relate to frizz or smoothing.

What annoys me the most about this product is that in order to achieve that moderate level of shine, you have to use a surprising amount of it. With Moroccanoil, I need around a dime-size amount of product but that amount of Lumiere Liquid produces pretty much no results. After a couple of disappointing uses of this product, I tried using double the dime-size amount and then I started seeing some, though again not amazing, results.

On the plus side, because you do need to use so much of this product you’re not likely to end up with greasy hair, which is always a risk with Moroccanoil and many other hair serums.

Besides adding in some shine, this product did cut down on tangles and did add in some softness. It also smelled nice. But while all these qualities are nice, they aren't nice enough to justify this product’s high price.

Would I buy this product: No, I’ll be sticking with my Moroccanoil.

Should you buy this product: If you find Moroccanoil or other similar products to heavy or greasy for your hair, and you've got some cash to spend, you might want to check this product out. Otherwise skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment