Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Blue Lagoon Algae Mask


I have never been to the legendary Blue Lagoon in Iceland. And while it’s on my list of places to visit, I don’t think I’ll be getting to it any time soon (after all, I did just spend two weeks in the Southern Caribbean). So until then I guess I’ll just to make do using the Blue Lagoon’s product line.

Actually no, I won’t, at least not with the Blue Lagoon Algae mask because while it’s an all right product, it does nothing to justify its $100-a-jar price tag (thankfully I received this product in my winter Luxe Box and didn't actually buy it). If this mask was $20, even $25, I would be much, much easier on it because while this isn't a bad product, it’s just not one that wows and for $100, I want a product that wows.

This mask certainly has a wow-tastic ingredients list: Silica mud, algae, jojoba oils, the Blue Lagoons own “active ingredients” and its claims aren't crazy. According to this product’s web page, this mask “Nourishes, moisturizes, gives an immediate & long lasting lift and youthful glow.”

I managed to get three uses out of my deluxe sample and after each use my skin did look a bit brighter however I wouldn't say that it had a “youthful glow” nor did the brightness last for more than a few hours. My skin also didn't feel any different. Maybe regular use of this product would result in healthier, better moisturised skin but three uses certainly didn't do anything.

Like most masks out there, this one did do a great job of prepping my skin for manual extractions by softening it up and bringing some of the dirt that lives in my pores closer to the surface. However, it didn't actually have any impact on cleaning out my pores; that was something I still had to do.

Something I found interesting about this mask is that despite its high price point, it didn't feel very luxurious. It was rather liquid-y and also had an odd, though mild scent to it. Maybe those qualities are to make it seem more “authentic,” like something you would actually get at an Icelandic spa? Or maybe they’re to make you forget how much you paid for this product, so that you feel less disappointed by it?

Would I buy this product: No. For $100 I want a mask that leaves my skin looking and feeling amazing.

Should you buy this product: No, it’s just worth the cash.

1 comment: