Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Aveda Botanical Kinetics Purifying Gel Cleanser And Toning Mist Review

Back in September I received I wonderful surprise: A selection of products from Aveda Canada. Two of those items up for review today: The Botanical Kinetics Purifying Gel Cleanser and the Botanical Kinetics Toning Mist.

Both products are designed for normal-to-oily skin and are designed to fight oil. According to Aveda, the cleanser uses "camomile, lavender and anti-oxidant vitamin E" to "gently dissolves makeup and impurities" leaving "skin feeling soft and refreshed." This product is then to be followed up with the "cooling, refreshing mist" that is the toner. Aveda says that this product, which contains "white oak, witch hazel and peppermint" "...helps hydrate and balance your skin while minimizing surface oil build-up."

Additionally, both items are heavy on scent, with the toner being described as "refreshingly aromatic" while the cleanser supposedly has a "refreshing new aroma" due to its inclusion of "16 certified organic essential oils" including" certified organic grapefruit, geranium, mandarin, and other pure flower and plant essences."

Since I received these products over a month ago, I've been using them once-twice a day. And since then my skin has been looking pretty good. It's soft-feeling, bright-looking and generally free of dry patches. I also haven't had any major blemishes though the odd pimple has appeared. And unfortunately, so have blackheads and clogged pores. While those issues haven't appeared in excessive amounts, they have appeared and to me that means that these products aren’t cleaning as well as they could be cleaning.

Part of the problem might be that the cleanser doesn’t remove makeup as thoroughly as I had hoped it would. While it was more than adequate at washing off a BB cream or matte eyeshadow, it struggled at removing highly pigmented makeup like my Make Up For Ever foundation or Benefit’s They’re Real mascara.

I do though agree with Aveda that the toner does feel cool and refreshing on my skin. And both products definitely have lovely scents that do give them a luxurious, spa-like feeling.

Overall, I did like these items but I didn’t love them. And for the price, I need to love them. Both items are available in two sizes, 150ml and 500ml, and neither is cheap. The 150ml bottle of cleanser retails for just under $35 while the same size toner goes for $32.

Both products are also available for dry skin. They are packaged in functional plastic bottles that aren’t fancy but aren’t bad looking either.

Would I buy these products: If I had money to burn, I might but since I don't, I'm passing.

Should you buy these products: Only if you love strongly scented products, your skin is in pretty good shape and you've got extra cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment