Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Glossier Body Hero Daily Oil Wash And Perfecting Cream Review

This morning, when I entered my ensuite shortly following Husband's shower, I noticed a distinctive smell: Orange blossom neroli. I immediately had two thoughts (1) He'd been using one (or maybe both) of my Glossier Body Hero products and (2) hey, I haven't written a review yet about either the Daily Oil Wash or the Perfecting Cream.

These two products were released back in September and have been reviewed to death so I'm not completely sure why I'm writing this. Maybe it's for all the people who haven't yet been taken in by the beauty cult otherwise known as Glossier.

I was a late convert. There was no way I was going to spend my cash on any brand, no matter what the reviews, that I couldn't touch first. Then shortly after Body Hero was released, Glossier held a popup in Toronto. There, I tried the two Body Hero items out and maybe it was because the popup was a noisy, scent-laded circus but I wasn't wowed. The oil felt nice but seemed potentially messy while the cream left my skin almost sparkly. And that amazing scent? At the popup, it was overwhelming.

Then I received the Body Hero duo for Christmas and soon I fell in love with it.

Glossier claims that the Perfecting Cream "immediately perfects and enhances the look of skin, tightens and smooths skin’s surface, increases skin’s elasticity, and melts in for all-day hydration." Uh, not exactly in my experience. While this rich, luxurious-feeling cream did enhance my skin (and felt amazing on), it didn't perfect it (for example, it didn't resolve or prevent any blemishes). But while I can't say that it left my skin feeling hydrated from morning until night, it did immediately soften and smooth it, relieving any tightness or scaly patches.

The cream definitely has "tiny light-reflecting particles for an instantaneous, dewy sheen that lasts." At the popup I didn't like this; it just looked too sparkly. But under more normal lights, and on my arms and legs, this effect was actually pretty flattering. And while this cream does leave a visible finish, it also has"zero residue, zero stickiness," meaning it absorbs quickly and cleanly.

The oil also washed off surprisingly easily given how thick it feels when it first goes on. But once water touches it, this seven-oil blend "turns into a soft froth" that Glossier claims "attracts grime and sweat like a magnet" resulting in a "better clean than typical body cleansers, while hydrating skin." I agree with all of this. Even though I know the idea of washing with an oil sounds weird, this product left my skin feeling clean, hydrated and just all around amazing.

And both products left me smelling amazing. While Glossier says that these two products have a "lite, baby-fresh scent" the truth is, the orange blossom neroli scent lingers and lingers and lingers. I love this aspect but it might be too much for some people.

The price for these products isn't bad if you're in the US. The oil goes for $22USD while the cream goes for $27USD (you can also buy both and save $5). Unfortunately the exchange rate makes those prices a bit steep. You also can only buy them online (though at least there's free shipping over $40). I'm currently stretching my duo by only using the cream on days/nights when my bare legs will be seen and using the oil maybe twice a week.

Glossier is acclaimed for its simple, millennial pink packaging. And yeah, there's no denying that it's pleasing to the eye. The cream comes in a simple squeeze tube that does the job nicely. The packaging for the oil also does the job but only if you get all the pieces.

I started this review with a tale about my bathroom reeking of orange blossom neroli. That happened because Husband, being out of his body wash, decided to use my bottle of Body Hero oil. Thinking that this product was some sort of gel, he unscrewed and removed the lid, and then he accidentally poured my precious oil all over his hands and onto the shower floor.

I can't be too mad at him because I'm personally I'm amazed that I haven't yet dumped a bunch of oil all over the shower. Instead, my annoyance is directed at how the packaging of this product is designed. It comes with a separate pump lid, which for whatever reason I never received. As a result I use this product dangerously.

Will I buy these products: Yes and hopefully this time I'll get the pump lid for the oil.

Should you buy these products: Smell them first and if, like me, you love the scent, buy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment