Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation

A few weeks ago I noticed that I was starting to run low on my foundation, Cover FX Natural FX water based foundation. While I love this brand, I decided that now was a good time to see what other foundation options I had and so I headed over to Sephora and asked for samples of their best “heavy duty” foundation (if I want light coverage I’ll get a BB cream). I was given one sample of Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation and another of Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15, which is the topic of today’s review.

I've been trying this foundation out for over a week now and I've tried to put it through its paces. I've worn as part of my regular routine (moisturiser, foundation, powder); over primer; to the gym and done split face tests with it and my current foundation as well as the Kat Von D foundation.

My final verdict is that this is an excellent foundation. Initially  I wasn't a fan of its whipped texture but after a couple uses I became more comfortable with it and now I can quickly and easily apply it to my skin and get great results.

Tarte describes this product as, “A long-wearing, skin-perfecting full coverage foundation…” that, in addition to providing “…12 hours of satin-matte coverage with a weightless texture” also reduces the “…appearance of pores, discolorations and imperfections.”

The 12-hour part is a bit of a stretch; while it certainly didn't vanish from my face, by the time I got home my skin did not look as nice as it had when I left the house some eight hours earlier. The rest, however, is actually fairly accurate. While this is a heavy foundation, it doesn't feel heavy and it does a great job of hiding pores and minor-to-medium imperfections.

It does this, explains Tarte, through its inclusion of Amazonian clay, a “nutrient-rich, multitasking and total-skin-balancing clay” that Tarte claims does everything from reducing dryness to improving skin clarity to “…removing oil from the skin’s surface for smooth application and wear.”

I'm not entirely sure what that last point means but if it means that this product reduces the appearance of shine, well, that I have to disagree with it. While this product always started off with a nice, satin-matte finish, by the end of the work day my forehead was always shiny. I also didn't notice any kind of improve in my skin while wearing this product but to be fair, I haven’t even been wearing it for a full week-and-a-half.

My split face tests with Cover FX and Kat Von D revelled that I have a tough choice ahead of me. All three products provide virtually identical (and excellent) coverage and, from let’s say more than three feet away, look almost identical on.

However,  up close, under bright lights, I did notice that the Tarte one did look a bit too pale for my face and maybe even a bit too matte (you would think this would be a good thing given my oily forehead but the rest of my face is quite normal when it comes to shine).

While I'm not entirely sold on Amazonian clay being a wonder ingredient  I do like that this product contains a broad spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen. I also like that it’s on the natural side of makeup products and doesn't contain parabens, phthalates and triclosan, among other necessary ingredients.

Will I buy this product: Probably not but only because they don’t have a shade that works perfectly for me (which Cover FX and Kat Von D both have). If they ever expand their colour offering, I will definitely be taking another look at this product.

Should you buy this product:
At around $50 Canadian, this foundation’s not cheap but it is really good and it should last you a long time. Since heavy foundations aren't for everyone, do get a sample first and if you feel comfortable applying and wearing it (and the colour works with your skin),  pick up a tube of one of the better foundations out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment