Monday, April 22, 2013

Kérastase Bain Chroma Captive Shampoo

I was thrilled to receive this product in my spring Luxe Box as that box showed up just days before I was due for my first highlights of 2013 and I was in need of a colour-protecting shampoo. But while the timing was ideal, the quantity was not. I only got four washes out my sample and while that was enough to give me a taste of this product, it’s not nearly enough to let me truly evaluate it.

According to Kérastase, using its three-step Bain Chroma Captive system will preserve, “…color depth and shine for up to 40 days.” Since I didn’t use this product for nearly that long, nor did I use it as part of the “system,” I can’t comment on that claim. Nor can I comment on whether or not this shampoo reduces, “color fading by 33% to 50%.”
But I can say that during the one week I did use it, my highlights looked bright while my hair was quite shiny. This shampoo is supposed to polish hair fiber, “leaving it smooth for maximum light reflection and shine” and I’ll give this product that.

Unfortunately, while this shampoo gets top marks for shine, it failed miserably at fighting frizz.  My hair was clearly crazier looking while I used this product and since it was the only change in my hair routine, I’m blaming it. As additional proof, once when I swamped this shampoo out for the one from TRESemmé’s Keratin Smooth Collection, the frizz was visibility reduced.
I get that this product’s goal is to protect one’s colour but can’t it do that while fighting frizz? Other products can do both, including Redken’s Colour Extend shampoo, which is also half the price of this $40 item.
Would I buy this product: No. While I did only get a taste of this product, it was enough to let me know that this product just isn't designed to meet my hair needs.

Should you buy this product: If this shampoo was half the price, I’d say give it a try. But since it’s expensive, skip it unless you can somehow score the whole three-step system at a good price. Maybe, when the shampoo is working together with its system’s other two steps, the results are less frizzy then what I ended up with (at minimum, using the whole system would likely give you almost a month-and-a-half of great colour).

No comments:

Post a Comment