Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator

Vasanti_BrightenUp!_Enzymatic_Face_Rejuvenator_face_scrub_review
I was thrilled to receive Vasanti’s BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator in my June 2014 Topbox. I always love a good face scrub and this one sounded particularly impressive. This exfoliate supposedly “Brightens with powerful papaya enzymes to give radiance, exfoliates with dermatologist grade micro-crystals and gently cleanses with aloe vera, coconut and panthenol.” All of this is supposed to “Dramatically improve your skin’s texture to reveal softer, brighter and younger looking skin.”

But not right away, a fact that is revealed in this claim, “Powerful papaya enzymes break down dead skin cells to help progressively smooth your skin’s surface and uncover a healthy radiant glow.” Most beauty products promise instant results, results that they never deliver so I really liked that this one admitted that its results are progressively delivered.

Vasanti recommends using this paraben, sulfate-free product three-five times a week. I started with three times because this product contains “Microderm Crystals” that “many dermatologists use… for their microdermabrasion treatments.” While I don’t have sensitive skin, the exclusion of those crystals made me think that it would be best to go slowly with this product.

That turned out not to be necessary. While this is definitely one of those exfoliates that you can really feel working, it in no way harmed or irritated my skin. Instead, all it did was leave my face feeling super soft, smooth and happy. Based on how my skin feels after I use this product, I believe that this claim, “Aloe vera, coconut, panthenol along with a mild cleansing gel keeps your skin hydrated and refreshed and helps soothe the skin during the exfoliation process” is 100 per cent true.

But sadly, this one isn’t: “Dermatologist-grade Microderm Crystals at 25%, work to stimulate and exfoliate your skin to help smooth and reduce the appearance of fine lines, scars and blemishes."

I’ve now been using this scrub for almost a month, enough time I think for this scrub to do its thing, and so far there’s been no chance in the look of any fine lines or blemishes. I agree that this scrub does reveal brighter skin and certainly feels great to use (though I suspect it might be a bit too gritty for some people) but I didn’t find that it revealed younger skin nor did it “dramatically improve (my) skin’s texture.” While my skin did feel softer for a few hours after I used it, it didn’t actually change.

Another claim made by this product that really caught my eye is that “this treatment is so effective in dissolving away dead skin cells, it also preps your skin to allow other skincare products to absorb better, making them more effective.” Papaya is renown for its ability to do away with dead skin so there might be something to this claim though that ingredient is pretty low on the ingredient list. Then again, my skin did feel extra-hydrated when I moisturized after using this scrub so there might be something to this claim.

In addition to being packed with quite a few notable ingredients, this scrub is also “formulated without: parabens, mineral oil and petrolatum, sulfates, GMOs, triclosan.” While I’m okay with mineral oil and petrolatum (they are incredible moisturizers), I know that some people really try to avoid them.

What I try to avoid is spending a lot of money on beauty products and that’s where I get tripped up with this item. It retails for around $34, which isn’t cheap, especially for a product that basically expires in six months. If it actually did diminish fine lines or blemishes, this product would totally be worth it but since it doesn’t, I’m really on the fence. Yes, it feels great to use and it does leave my face smooth and soft but so do other products that cost less.

Would I buy this product: I might if it was on sale or if maybe I could get it free by redeeming Optimum points (the Vansanti line is carried by Shoppers Drug Mart). I like it but I don’t love it.

Should you buy this product: Try a sample first. Like I mentioned above, this product might be a bit too much for some people while for others, the results might not be impressive enough to justify the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment