Monday, November 3, 2014

Sawmill Creek Wines Pinot Grigio-Chardonnay

A few weeks, I was in Kelowna for a friend's wedding. While I was there, I went on a wine tour where I tasted some great stuff and some not-so-great stuff. If, while on my tour, someone had given me a glass of Sawmill Creek's Pinot Grigio-Chardonnay I would have put it right in the middle of what I was tasting.

Before I go any further, I need to disclose that I received my 1.5L (yes, it's giant) bottle of Sawmill Creek wine because I'm participating in a BzzAgent campaign about the company. This means that I received my wine for free.

Sawmill Creek makes 12 different kinds of wine that come in four sizes (including two boxed formats). I went with the Pinot Grigio-Chardonnay because I enjoy Pinot Grigio and don't generally mind Chardonnays. Also, someone once told me that if you have to drink cheap wine, always opt for the white over the red.

And there's no debate that this is a cheap wine. That 1.5L bottle only cost me $16. But for that price, this stuff isn't bad. It's certainly not fantastic but I've paid a lot more for a lot worst.

If you're a wine snob, I have no doubt that you'll turn your nose up at this product. It's not complex, challenging or even that flavourful. But it's for those exact reasons that I think a lot of people out there won't mind it.

This is a crisp, light wine that has low acidity and has only hints of aromas or flavours. The product write-up for this wine mentions "lime" but personally I didn't notice that. A citric taste, sure, but not lime. Some sips did though remind me of apples and/or pears.

In all honesty, this is not the type of wine you bring to an upscale dinner party or to your in-laws. But it might be what you bring to a bachelorette or have on-hand in your fridge, for those nights when you just want something easy to drink.

Sawmill Creek is really pushing how its products are all about being one of life's "simple pleasures" (the hashtag for the BzzAgent campaign is even #SimpleSipping) and I think that's fair. This isn't an inventive or exciting wine but it is one that I think people will generally enjoy (especially after a bottle of the "good stuff" has been consumed).

Would I buy this product: Depending on the event, yeah, I might.

Should you buy this product: If you're in Ontario, you can head over to The Wine Rack to try out Sawmill Creek's various offerings. You might end up surprised at your reaction.



No comments:

Post a Comment