Saturday, July 11, 2015

Julep Diamond Theory Nail Polish

No, no, no, you didn’t stumble across a review from 2013 (or earlier). I really have never tried one of Julep’s nail polishes until July 2015. The brand, perhaps best known for its monthly nail polish subscription service, is one that I always figured I’d cross paths with at some point. And I did, it just took me awhile.

I received my bottle of Diamond Theory as a gift from a family friend. Julep describes this colour as, “Full-coverage multidimensional copper glitter” and I think that sums it up nicely. This is a pretty, glittery polish that unlike some glitter polishes, doesn’t require multiple coats to get full coverage.

I really thick the viscosity of this product. It’s thick, but not so thick that it’s a pain to work with. Application was quick and easy and rarely did my nails need more than two coats. The texture of this polish is a bit bumpy but then this is a glitter polish and so of course one should expect a finish that is sparkly instead of glossy.

Like all Julep polishes, this one features “Oxygen Technology,” which supposedly creates a, “fast-drying, long-lasting nail polish to get nails healthy and more beautiful at the same time.” While I’m not quite comfortable saying that my nails are “stronger, harder and more conditioned,” they certainly look great with the polish on.

I definitely agree with the “fast-drying” and “long-lasting” claims. I used this product on my toes (which is why you're not seeing any photos of it on me) and I was up and walking about normally within an hour of applying the last coat. And even though I applying this polish a week ago, my toes still look freshly done. There isn’t a single chip or crack despite me having worn sandals this past weekend.

Diamond Theory, like all Julep polishes, is also free of formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, DBP and camphor, is vegan-friendly and “includes strengthening Hexanal and antioxidant green coffee extract.”

While Julep does have a subscription service, you can buy specific colours and products without being a subscriber, you just have to pay a bit more. Non-members can generally get a bottle for $14 US. And speaking of bottles, I really like the containers that Julep uses. The rectangle design is a great space saver and is a style I wish was the norm for polishes.

Would I buy this product: The biggest issue for me is having to buy this product from a website, and a US one at that. Yes, Sephora.ca does sell Julep but its stock is very (very) limited and doesn’t contain the fun options that you can find on the US site. If I could buy this brand in a physical, Canadian Sephora store I would likely buy but since I can’t, I’ll be passing.

Should you buy this product: If you’re OK with ordering from a US website and love a pretty, long-lasting nail polish then yes, I do recommend this product for you. And if you love nail polish and doing your nails yourself, you might actually want to look into a Julep subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment