Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara Review

While it's tempting to make this a one-word review, I will elaborate on why, contrary to its name, Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara isn't better than sex.

Made with collagen and "Acacia Senegal tree extract to nourish, thicken and lock curl in place," this mascara also comes with a very curvy brush to apply the product. According to Too Faced, one coat will creates lashes that are "full, defined and stretched to unbelievable lengths" while a second coat (which I recommend applying) will result in lashes "reaching unbelievable heights of drama."

But don't just take Too Faced word for those claims. According to a consumer survey that the company conducted, 100 per cent of participants "saw longer lashes" and "dramatic volume" while "93 per cent saw base-to-tip curl." Also, "8 out of 10 say it’s the best mascara they’ve ever used" while "3.1 out of 10 agree that this mascara is so good, it’s better than sex." I kind of feel sorry for those 3.1 survey participants because if they think that this mascara is better than sex... Anyway, back to reviewing makeup.

While this mascara definitely did curl my lashes while delivering length and volume, this is not the best mascara I've ever used. I wore it on one eye and Benefit's They're Real on the other and my lashes looked almost identical; the Benefit product was a bit better at delivering length while the Too Face one created a touch more volume.

It's definitely a good mascara, even above average when it comes to delivering drama, but it does fall flat in one key area. Too Faced claims that this product provides "...smudge-proof, all day wear" but I didn't find that. Instead, I discovered that this mascara was rather prone to smudging, leaving me with raccoon eyes almost every time I wore it. Now, to be fair, it has been very hot and humid here in Toronto and perhaps this item just isn't designed to work in plus 30-degree temperatures.

Interestingly, even though this mascara tended to smear, it didn't come off easily. I always needed to use an eye makeup remover to wash this product off my lashes. And while it did smudge, it didn't flake (or if it did, those flakes quickly melted into smears).


However, while this mascara did get a bit messy once it was on, it was easy to apply. Clumps were minimal and it didn't cause the dreaded (for me) spider lashes. It also didn't leave my lashes feeling stiff or brittle, even when I applied multiple coats.

Before the smudging issue appeared, I was pleased but not wowed by this product. I easily understood why some people like it but personally wasn't loved it; it just didn't deliver as much drama as I had been hoping it would.

Between that and the smudging problem, I still can't come up with a justification for this mascara's price tag. It's $30 a tube. For a similar price, you can get Guerlain Cils D’Enfer Maxi Lash, which in my opinion delivers more drama and doesn't melt off your face (though it is prone to clumping)

Would I buy this product: No.

Should you buy this product: Only if you have money to burn and are OK with smudging.

No comments:

Post a Comment