Thursday, November 23, 2017

Shoppers Drug Mart Spend Your Points Plus Event 2017

It's that time of year again. No, I don't mean Black Friday or Cyber Mondaythough those are both very fun daysno, I mean Shopper Drug Mart's big, end-of-year Optimum points redemption event. This year it's taking place on Saturday, November 26 and Sunday, November 27.


Historically this event saw Shoppers increase the cash value of its top two redemption levels. For example, in 2011, you could cash in 95,000 points for an impressive $250 worth of stuff (the standard amount is $170). Then last year Shoppers changed things up. Instead of increasing the cash value, it gave points back.

It's using that model again this year. Spend 95,000 points and you'll get $40 worth of points back. Spend the next highest level, 50,000, and you'll get $20 back. Last year I wasn't thrilled about this change however, now I prefer it.

I have over 145,000 points, enough to redeem at both the 95,000 and 50,000 levels. Under the old model, that meant I could have redeem my points for $500 worth of stuff (you're only allowed to redeem the top level of points twice). And while that sounds amazing, it can be hard to spend that much, even at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Under this new approach, I only have to spend $255 to maximize the value of my points, I figure that I'm confident I can hit. I'll then get $60 worth of points back on my card, which can then be used during a separate shopping trip, say in January. While this way isn't quite as fun as having a huge amount of points to spend, it is more practical and manageable.

Shoppers hasn't posted this weekend's flyer yet but Smart Canucks has it up now. I'm off to check it out and make my shopping list for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment