Monday, March 30, 2015

St. Ives Nourished And Smooth Oatmeal Scrub + Mask

Back in February, I headed to Fiji with a number of new products in my bag including this two-in-one face/mask scrub by St. Ives (which is supposedly "America's #1 scrub brand"). It made the cut for two reasons:
  1. It has a "...dual purpose formula combines oatmeal extract with 100% Natural Exfoliants" that lets it be both an exfoliant and a face mask;
  2. St. Ives rates in as a "gentle" exfoliant, making it ideal for skin that would like be a bit on the burned and sensitive side.
Often times multi-action products fail at achieving one, or more, of their claimed actions. Unfortunately, this item continues that tradition. St. Ives claims that this product can be used as a scrub to "...smooth away dullness" and here it did okay. While I usually prefer my exfoliants to be a bit rougher, the gentle texture of this scrub was ideal for use on my trip, during which my skin was being exposed to hours of hot sun and salt water. 

St. Ives also states that this item can be used as a mask to "..nourish dry skin..." I never ended up using this product as a mask on my trip (I should have known that would happen) but I have used it a few times since I've been back and each time I'm not impressed. While my skin did look a bit brighter, it felt only a touch softer and that feeling last maybe an hour. Any nourishing supplied by this mask was temporary at best.

In my eyes, this is really a single-action product and that action is being a scrub. This isn't a bad thing, especially considering that a 6oz tube costs under $5.

While this is a low-priced product, it comes with some nice qualities that often only found in higher priced products: it's made with 100% natural exfoliants, is sulfate free and Oil-free, is dermatologist tested and is non-comedogenic.

The packaging is nothing special but it works and unlike some squeeze tube exfoliants, you don't have to fight with this one to get product out of the container.

While my feelings on this product are mixed, my husbands loves it and it's now his new go-to face wash. Besides the positive results, he really likes the texture, which feels a bit gritty without being too gritty.

Will I buy this product again: Yep; in fact, we already have.

Should you buy this product: If you're looking for  a well-priced, gentle face scrub, then yes. But don't get it if you're looking for a hydrating mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment