Monday, June 29, 2015

Deborah Lippman Nail Polish

Prior to joining the world of subscription beauty boxes, I had never heard of Deborah Lippman nail polishes (or if I had, I didn't take any interest in them). But within the first few months of signing up into that world, I quickly learned that a Deborah Lippman nail polish was one of the best things that could arrive in your box. This pricey polish, it retails for $20 a bottle, was prized for its vivid colours and long-lasting, high-quality results.

I was intrigued but not enough to go out and buy this polish myself. I figured that eventually, my time would come and I would receive my own bottle of Deborah Lippman. That finally happened this month, when my June 2015 Topbox arrived with a bottle of Video Killed the Radio Star inside of it.

Love this colour! It's called Video Killed the Radio Star
This bright, electric blue shade is perfect for summer and best of all, the colour on my nails actually looks like the colour in the bottle. And it only took two coats to get that result. While this isn't a perfect polish, I was pleased with its viscosity as it wasn't too thin and it wasn't too thick. Instead it was just right and allowed me to quickly and easily coat my nails.

The shorter-than-usual brush assisted with this process. I find that a short nail polish brushe gives me more control and allows me to better coat every last millimetre of my nails. That feature, combined with this polish's ideal "weight" meant that I didn't have to coat my nails in order to get smooth, solid and consistent colour.

Deborah Lippman describes this polish as a "luxury, treatment-enriched nail colour with biotin, green tea extract with aucoumea." I have no idea if this product is actually having a positive impact on my nails but it certainly makes them look great and for multiple days at that. The above photo of my nails was taken on day five of wear and as you can see, while there are some small chips at the edge of a few nails, overall, things look great. I suspect that I should be able to get at least a week's wear out of this colour, which is definitely longer than most nail polish brands.

Of course, the downside to this longevity is that this polish is a pain to take off. While I haven't yet tried to remove it from my nails, it was a fight to get it off my cuticles (yeah, I'm a bit messy when I apply my polish).

This is a not fast drying item. I applied it about three hours before bedtime and it was still soft enough that my sheets left light, though visible impressions on my nails. Thankfully, the strong, solid colour and semi-gloss finish means that these impressions didn't actually wreck my manicure.

Like most (all?) high-end nail polishes, this one is free of toluene, formaldehyde, camphor or DBP. Deborah Lippman also doesn't test its products on animals.

As I previously mentioned, this nail polish retails for $20 a bottle. Not cheap but then this is a high quality product. It's also attractively packaged though there's nothing particularly novel or useful about the glass bottle.

Deborah Lippman offers dozens and dozens of different shades of nail polish in variety of finishes including shimmer, sheer and creme, which is what Video Killed the Radio Star is classified as. To see all of the options, check out the brand's well-designed website.

Would I buy this product: Maybe if it was on sale or if their was a really awesome colour.

Should you buy this product: If you want to splurge on a nail polish, this is a great choice, especially considering some of the colour options.

No comments:

Post a Comment