Thursday, September 29, 2016

Smashbox Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Primer Review


A better name for this primer from Smashbox would be Photo Finish Pore Somewhat Minimizing Primer. That's because this product does minimize pores but only a bit, at least in my experience.

According to Smashbox, this version of its famed Photo Finish Primer, which was "to help make makeup look better and last longer on set," "...instantly blurs fine lines and pores while mattifying shine and controlling oil for 8 hours."

I personally don't think "blurs" is the right verb to use in this product's description as I didn't find it blurred anything. Instead, it de-emphasised, or to use another term, minimized, my pores and fine lines by mattifying my skin. Actually, a better name for this product would have been Photo Finish Matte Primer as this item did a great job at giving me shine-free, matte skin.

With oil sealed away beneath this product, my skin's flaws were no longer being highlighted. They were still there, just not as visible. This effect diminished as the day went on but by the end of eight hours, my skin was still matter (and my pores and fine lines less noticeable) than if I hadn't been using this product. So yes, it did work, just not on a level that wowed me.

I was though impressed with this primer's texture. It felt super-silky and literally glided onto my skin. Smashbox says that this product creates, "...the perfect canvas for makeup application" and I can't argue with that. This item left my skin feeling incredibly smooth and made foundation application a breeze, resulting in me having to use less product.

While testing this product out I decided to compare it with Make Up For Ever's Step 1 Skin Equalizer Primer in Mattifying. Both products produced virtually identical initial results. Two-three hours into my little experiment, the results were still pretty much the same however, by the end of the day, the side of my face that had been primed with the MUFE product did look a bit matter and had better makeup retention.

The Smashbox primer retails for $50, which is a big chunk of change for a non-wowing product (the MUFE one costs $45, in case you're wondering). At least the packaging is sleek and attractive.

Would I buy this product: No.

Should you buy this product: The only reason you might want to pick this product over MUFE's primer is that the Smashbox one does have a nicer, silkier texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment