Thursday, January 19, 2017

Pupa Vamp! Mascara Review

If you're familiar with this blog, you'll know that there are certain beauty looks that I hate on myself: dewy skin, tight curls and spider lashes. But while I don't like those looks, other people do (well, maybe not tight curls).

Italian brand Pupa's Vamp! Mascara is intended for women who want dramatic spider lashes. Okay, that's not exactly how Pupa puts it. According to the brand, this product "...makes your eyelashes look just as spectacular as fake lashes..." as "Stroke after stroke, volume gets exaggeratedly oversize, for thick, full and ultra dense lashes."

But the result this product delivers is spider lashes. I found that three-four coats of this mascara did transform my lashes, adding length and fullness while shaping them into pointy arachnid legs. They were big, even oversized, and while the clumps (which grew with each coat) kept them from looking truly fake, my lashes did look "exaggerated."

But while I agree with Pupo that this mascara delivers drama, I have to disagree with this claim, "With unbeatable hold and no smudging." I found that this product did smudge and flake and didn't stay in place as well as I hoped it would. However, it never fully smudged or flaked off and I always had to use a makeup remover to take it all off at the end of the night. If I didn't do that step, I would find myself with quite the racoon eyes the following morning.

My tube of Vamp! was in Extra Black, which Pupo says "...combines two types of colourings..." to create an "extrablack" shade that "...gives a magnetic, deep look to the eyes." While "magnetic" is a bit much, this mascara is a very vivid and intense shade of black. I like it though I do wish that Topbox, which sent me this product, had given me one in one of its five other colours, perhaps the Electric Blue, which is "perfect for blue, hazelnut and green eyes" and amethyst violet "perfect for blue, hazelnut, dark brown/black and green eyes." I'm curious if the non-black versions of this mascara are as intense as the one I did end up with.

Colour options
Mascara is fairly limited in how it can be packaged and while this one is your classic wand-in-a-tube, that tube is a pretty one that's shiny and sleek and very suitable for a product called Vamp! In Canada, this product can be found in Rexall for around $22, which is appropriate for what you get.

Would I buy this product: No but the results aren't what I look for in a mascara.

Should you buy this product: In you want dramatic spider lashes then yes, pick this mascara up. Just make sure to have a good makeup remover on hand to get it all off.

No comments:

Post a Comment