Thursday, June 8, 2017

Cake The 'Do Gooder Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray Review

My go-to dry shampoo is Cake's Satin Sugar Hair & Body Refreshing Powder because it's easy to use, it smells absolutely fantastic and it works to absorb oil and liven up my hair. So when a container of Cake's The 'Do Gooder Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray arrived in my Topbox a few months ago, I was thrilled. Could this product be even better than the powder? And since it's a spray, could it be even more convenient to use?

According to Cake, this is, "The best dry shampoo for dark hair to platinum blonde locks" because it cleans your roots with "no white residue." Using its "bestselling lightweight formula" it "add(s) volume to fine hair and lift flat hair" with "no sticky hairspray feel."

Here's the good: This spray didn't leave any kind of residue in my hair and I could easily run my hands through it after applying this product. There also wasn't any visible -- white or otherwise -- residue though as a blonde, that wasn't really a concern for me. I do think it's fair to say that this spray could be used by anyone, regardless of their hair colour.

But while it might be "the best dry shampoo for dark hair to platinum blonde locks," it's not "the best dry shampoo." Satin Sugar Hair & Body Refreshing Powder still holds that title in my mind.

My problem with this spray is that the results don't last. Yes, it did add volume to my hair and even more importantly, it did leave it looking fresher and cleaner than if I hadn't used the spray but by the mid-point of the day, my hair was flat again and looked like it could use a wash.

I tried using different quantities of the spray to see if that could make a difference but nope, I think I just wasted a bunch of this product.

My other issue with this spray is the scent. Cake is known for making products that smell like baked goods, tropical islands and happiness. But something has gone wrong with this one. There definitely is a strong top note of sugar but then the scent changes to something very chemically and even unpleasant. Thankfully it doesn't linger but still, it's kind of nasty and really made me not want to use this product, even more so than the limited results.

This spray retails for $19 though Cake is always offering discounts and package details. Since the product is a spray, the packaging is nothing fancy but I do like the smooth texture used on the container. And of course the hot pink colour is a great touch.

Would I buy this product: Nope, I'm sticking with Cake's Satin Sugar Hair & Body Refreshing Powder.

Should you buy this product: Unless you really prefer a spray over a powder, and you're hard of smelling, skip this item and opt for the powder version.

No comments:

Post a Comment