Thursday, June 1, 2017

Jergens Moisturizer for Wet Skin with Coconut Oil

In-shower moisturizers are products that seem kind of weird ("I apply it to my wet body?") but that actually make a lot of sense since the best time to apply a moisturizing product is when your skin is damp, so that you are essentially sealing that hydration into your skin.

Still, despite knowing that, I was skeptical of Jergens' Moisturizer for Wet Skin with Coconut Oil. Sure, I figured that it would be better than nothing but would it be better than a regular, outside-of-shower moisturizer? I decided to find out by doing a split test: For over a week, I would use the Jergens in-shower product  on one leg while my other leg would receive Nivea's Cocoa Butter Body Lotion outside of the shower.

According to Jergens this product, "...contains a breakthrough new formula that blends with water..." to "Lock in 2x the moisturization" in "1/2 the time for luminous skin." Those last two statements are associated with an asterisk that leads us to this statement: "*2X the moisturization in a single application clinical study; 1/2 the time vs. ordinary lotion." Exactly how these values have been reached is unclear to me but their implicationthat the Jergens product is better than a typical moisturizer is clear.

I have to admit that this split test got off to a couple of false starts. I would apply this product, with its light, lotion texture, and then I would rinse it off. Oops, you're not supposed to rinse it off.

But eventually I trained myself to apply it and then immediately leave the shower. I would then dry both legs and apply my regular moisturizer to the other leg. I would then compare and contrast my legs throughout the testing period, including doing a "scratch" test with my finger nail to see which leg shed more dry skin.

And my highly unscientific results are this: The Jergens in-shower product moisturized my skin just as well as Nivea lotion did. Both products provided immediate hydration that lasted for multiple hours, fading at roughly the same rate. And both legs felt equally soft and smooth and neither caused any kind of irritation.

Jergens also states that with this product, "The beach is closer than ever with the refreshing scent of coconut oil." I'm not a fan of the scent of coconut so I was initially concerned that I this item would be a no-go for me simply because of its smell but thankfully, the coconut scent is super faint and didn't bother me in the slightest (so sorry to anyone who was hoping that this moisturizer would smell like a pina colada).

So this product works, it doesn't smell weird and retailing around $8, it's affordable. It's also packaged in a shower-friendly plastic pump bottle. In other words, this sounds like an idea product.

However, I'm still not sold on it and here's why: It's another bottle that I ultimately don't need. Had it worked better than my regular moisturizer, maybe I would consider picking it up but it didn't. And my regular moisturizer I can use any time, with no need to jump into the shower first.

Would I buy this product: No, for the reasons stated above.

Should you buy this product: Are you okay with another bottle of something in your bathroom? If yes, then sure, pick up this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment